Monday, June 2, 2008

Playing Hookie



In most respects I would say that while growing up I was a really good kid/adolescent. I never really lied to my parents, cheated, skipped school (evident in the fact that I am not exactly sure how to spell the word hookie), or took part in other disturbing ,yet unfortunately normal teen behaviors.
That being said, as a parent, I have realized that a little innocent "breaking of the rules" is quite healthy when raising a child. So today I woke up saying "Damn the rules! I am taking my kids to Disneyland!"
Tomorrow is Brooke's 10th birthday, her first decade complete! We stopped by City Hall on Main Street and got her a "It's My Birthday" button and all of the Disneyland workers wished her a Happy Birthday all day long! After a couple of hours of this I think she was ready to stuff the button in her pocket, but she was a very good sport and wore it all day long.
We had a fantastic time, I just love hanging out with my peeps! And to be honest, maybe it was made all the more sweet because we were "breaking the rules".

The ever popular, picture of the monitor picture. This is on Splash Mountain, I was a bit nervous riding in the front, Brooke said she was posing for the picture, not sure if I believe her, Buzz is hanging on for dear life, and Kate said she was NOT posing for the picture but was truly scared!
On Grizzy River Rapids right before going down the big hill.
Buzz and Kate with the Brother Bears. Brooke took this one.
Riding the Monorail

8 comments:

loubige said...

Man I MISS our Disney passes!!! (Jon might have a differing opinion) :-) The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that we really wouldn't have had much "hookie" going on this year with Jamie in middle school--homework was a beast. Keep posting Dland pictures so I may live vicariously through you!! :-)

Stephanie said...

We tried to get Cozi to wear the button, but she was too embarassed! When we went for my birthday I wanted the button but didn't want to look like one of those adults that is obsessed with disney. I should have worn it though...the shoe fits! I love the title of your blog, it's so clever:)

Maggie said...

We've done that with our kids twice this year. I guess I am a rule breaker. It was totally worth it. We had a blast. It's so fun to see pictures of your beautiful kids!!

Gretchen J said...

We are not at the hookie stage yet with the kids but Steve did play hookie and cut out of work early, code for came out of his home office, and we went up to Disneyland last night. I think I saw you on Splash Mountain! Emma was a big girl and did Thunder Mountain Railroad and I realized that Isaac will probably be tall enough to ride that when he's 2!! Go big walker man Isaac!!

maines said...

Whatever Miss "play by the rules"! You are the only person I know that got kicked out of seminary for an entire year! Looks like you guys had fun. What a fun mom. You can't take life TOO seriously. And thanks for the great party last night. Axel had a blast playing with the cousins (they are so nice to indulge him) and I had dreams of Guicho's and strawberry shortcake (sooooo tasty!) all night! Don't tell Steph. :-)

Stephanie said...

Strawberry Shortcake! I'm furious! Something about a public blog that makes it hard to keep secrets.

Nana said...

A great time was had by all, esp. Nana and Paga. Thanks for inviting us and I love the new blog. What a great way to stay caught up. Keep the good times coming.

Ari_rox said...

Lol I remember Dland. I used to go there every year! Oh, how I miss is... Well, please tell Brooke 'hi' for me!
~Ari