Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Few Thoughts on the Last Day of School

We've been revving up for the summer, we're all so excited about the prospects....a couple of vacations, no schedules, hours at the beach in the waves and digging big pits:) Well in 15 minutes (2:35) we are officially free! I love spending the summer with my kids, it truly is my favorite time of year, I love having them home. Sooooooooooooooo, it took me a little by surprise this morning that I got a little misty when I was dropping them off at school, in the same place we have been dropping all year and it suddenly occurred to me that this was the last time that I would see them run down that hill (they are changing schools next year), the last time that I would have Buzzy in the backseat (because he is going to school next year), the last time that I would honk the horn when they were half way to school and have them turn around and wave back to me, that last time Buzz and I would be yelling "good-bye" and urging them to pick up their pace (because we are always running late). I guess it was just one of those moments when you realize that your babies are growing up and while you love nurturing and watching them progress, at the same time you understand that you can't stop it or slow it down and that it is happening way too fast.

In my realizing that it was the last drop off, I wanted to quickly take a picture of the view that I've had at 8:15 am for past ten months. The girls are on the blacktop (little dots in this picture), just before the "honk and wave".

1 comment:

Nana said...

I was thinking all week about this being the last of school and how much I loved that time of year. I think the sand is in their DNA. Nothing is better than a whole day of fun and never having to say, no! Thank you so much for sharing with us, I can close my eyes and be right there with you.